YORK – Matthew S. Layman, 37, whose last known address is York, has been sentenced to four years in prison in a case related to counterfeit money and being involved in a police stand-off that took place in August, 2018.

Layman was initially charged with forgery, a Class 3 felony, which carries a possible maximum sentence of four years in prison; conspiracy to commit forgery, a Class 3 felony; resisting arrest (second subsequent offense), a Class 3A felony that carries a possible maximum of three years in prison; and possession of methamphetamine, a Class 4 felony that carries a possible maximum sentence of two years in prison.

According to the affidavit of probable cause filed against Layman, this case began on Aug. 28, 2018 when the York Police Department received information about a man and a woman trying to pass counterfeit money at local businesses.

The court documents indicate that police went to a local hotel where the two were said to be staying and that the woman was taken into custody. Investigators say that Layman, however, was able to evade arrest at that time.

The next day, officers said they learned that Layman had contacted the hotel in an effort to retrieve items he had left behind. The police said the items had already been seized, which included syringes, items with methamphetamine residue, computers and counterfeit money.

Through their investigation, officers were given information that Layman was hiding in a camper on a property along East Avenue in York.

They said when they arrived, they discovered the camper was locked and that a window had been altered. When an officer attempted to go through the window, in an effort to extract Layman from the camper, the defendant yelled to police that “he had a gun and would shoot himself if they entered.”

The police officers backed away from the camper and called for assistance, which included more officers with the police department, the Nebraska State Patrol SWAT team and the York County Sheriff’s Department.

A stand-off began, with Layman in the camper and law enforcement surrounding the scene outside.

According to court documents, during this time, investigators received a report from dispatch that someone had called them from a cell phone reporting a bank robbery in downtown York. It was established that this was a false report and that no bank robbery was underway. The dispatchers had the phone number from which the false report was made.

Then, Layman (still inside the camper) called 911 and asked to talk to his co-defendant (who was in jail). Dispatchers told officers that Layman made that call from the same phone number as the earlier false robbery claim.

The stand-off continued for about a half-hour and then Layman exited the camper and was arrested without incident.

Investigators said they found the phone, counterfeit money, drug paraphernalia and methamphetamine residue in the camper as well.

This week, Judge James Stecker sentenced Layman to the following: first degree forgery, first count, four years in prison with credit for 50 days already served and two years of post-release supervision; first degree forgery, second count, four years in prison, to be served concurrently; resisting arrest, three years in prison, to be served concurrently; possession of a controlled substance, two years in prison, to be served concurrently.

The habitual criminal enhancement was dismissed.

Sign up for York News Times Email Alerts
I would like to receive News Alerts emails from the YNT
I would like to receive Local Deals and Offers emails from the YNT
I would like to receive Daily Headlines emails from the YNT
I would like to receive Weekly Obituaries emails from the YNT