The following questions were asked recently on the Wonderline:

Q: The house across the street from my house is a disaster and has been for a long period of time. There are appliances on the porch, the porch is nearly falling apart, there have been no windows for years, there is garbage and junk all over the yard, it is rarely mowed. There have been animals going in and out of that property for years and at one time there was a woman seen crawling in and out of the windows. It’s been abandoned for years and appears that the property owner is using the house to store junk. It’s a mess. Why doesn’t someone do something about it?

A: If there is a problem with a property such as this, it is encouraged that the concerned persons notify the city offices and/or the police. They will take the matter from there, which would likely start with them making contact with the property owner in an effort to have the property issues remedied. If there is no response from the property owner after a certain amount of time, the city does have the option to legally establish that it is a nuisance and the city could do the clean-up and/or demolition if it is deemed necessary.

The city office telephone number is 363-2600. The police telephone number is 363-2640.

It should also be noted that the city may already be in the process of working with the property owner to get this property taken care of. On a daily basis, the special services officer makes note of properties with garbage, structural issues, etc., and the property owners are contacted.

But the concerned person (who asked this question) should certainly contact them to make sure city officials are aware.

Q: I can hear chickens in my neighborhood as the rooster crows every morning. I live in York. What I want to know is how close can chickens legally be to other properties in the city limits? Because I think all the houses in our neighborhood are way too close for anyone to have chickens legally.

A: We just answered this not too long ago in the Wonderline, as it seems readers have been really interested in chickens being in the city of York lately.

Section 7-3 of the municipal code addresses this issue. It says:

(a) “No person, whether as owner, bailee, keeper or custodian shall keep or maintain any horse, mule, sheep, goat, or rabbit within one hundred (100) feet of any part of any building used by another as a residence or place of dwelling or place of business; provided, no swine or bovine shall be kept or maintained within the corporate limits of the city.

(b) “No person, whether as owner, bailee, keeper or custodian shall keep or maintain any chickens, ducks, turkeys, geese, or any similar fowl within fifty (50) feet of any part of any building used by another as a residence, a place of dwelling or a place of business.

(c) “The restrictions set forth in subsections (a) and (b) of this section, shall not be construed to apply to the use or employment of any building or premises now or hereafter erected or existing in the city if temporarily used for the weighing, loading or unloading of fowls of any description, immediately preceding or during transportation; nor shall the foregoing restrictions be construed to prevent the processing of animals or fowls, already slaughtered, for commercial purposes.

(d) “Any use of property within the city that complied with the requirements of this section and any amendments to the section shall be allowed to continue as long as the use of such property complies with any applicable requirements contained in the City Zoning Ordinance. However, the use of such property shall only be allowed to continue to the extent that the property was used at the time of the enactment of this ordinance or amendment of the ordinance, and no expansion of such use shall be permitted.”

Q: Since the city added that extra ½-cent sales tax, how much in LB 357 funds has been taken in?

A: The total, so far, according to the last sales tax receipts, is $2,715,442.63.

Q: When is the downtown water main project going to start?

A: Mitch Doht, public works director for the City of York, said, “Our latest report from the contractor is that they will not be starting to cut pavement until mid-June.”

Q: How much are U.S. Senators paid a year?

A: United States Senators are paid $174,000 annually.

Q: I’m glad that Lt. Paul Vrbka is going to be our new sheriff, starting next year. He’s worked here for a really long time. So that brings me to my Wonderline question. How long has he worked with the York County Sheriff’s Department?

A: Lt. Vrbka has been with the sheriff’s department here for the last 36 years.

Q: In an editorial, Melanie Wilkinson wrote that the recent election only drew 22 percent of the registered voters in York County. What I want to know is how many people voted per party here.

A: A total of 2,172 people voted in York County during the Primary Election. Of them, 1,788 (82 percent) were Republican; 305 were Democrats (14 percent), two were Libertarian (.09 percent) and 77 were non-partisan (3.55 percent).

Q: How long are the blooms on peonies supposed to last?

A: The blooms on peonies typically last between a week and 10 days.

Sign up for York News Times Email Alerts

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.